There really is nothing like sitting down to enjoy a rich slice of carrot cake and a hot cup of tea. Imagine smooth, sweet cream cheese frosting atop an unbelievably moist carrot cake; better yet a completely gluten-free, nut free and vegan version in cupcake form. Yes please!
When I first started following a completely gluten-free lifestyle, there was definitely a learning curve when it came to baking, and I’m still learning. This particular recipe however, through various trials and tribulations, has reached its point of perfection. It is dense, yet light, and moist, just like its non-vegan, wheat based counterpart, and has an amazing flavor that holds up even without the frosting. Add a generous layer of luscious cream cheese frosting and you’ve got yourself an amazingly decadent treat to enjoy, while still packing in lots of nutrients.
The carrots in this recipe not only aid in producing an amazingly moist and flavorful cake, they also pack a ton of health boosting nutrients. Loaded with the antioxidant beta-carotene, carrots provide our bodies with the nutrients necessary to fight cancer, maintain nice healthy skin, improve vision, slow down ageing and cleanse the body, just to name a few. So go ahead, have two!
Over the past couple of years, carrot cake has become a bit of a tradition in my family. Every holiday and birthday, I make this same recipe and it’s always a hit. In fact, it’s now expected that I make it! This past weekend was my daughter’s birthday and, of course, that meant we all got to enjoy this delicious treat together. We made a double batch this time because they are just that good. This recipe is sure to impress your friends and family.
It certainly impresses mine!
- 2/3 cup gluten free flour (I used Cuisine Soleil all purpose mix)
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut yogurt (or any non dairy yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons apple sauce
- 2.5 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrots
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (Iike soy free Earth Balance)
- ¼ cup plain vegan cream cheese (like Daiya)
- 1.5 cups Icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extact
- Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees: In a mixing bowl add the yogurt, sugar, apple sauce, coconut oil and vanilla and mix until completely combined.
- Add in your dry ingredients to the wet and stir until smooth. Fold in the carrots.
- Spoon the cupcake mix into 12 silicone cupcake liners about ⅔ full (paper would work too but the silicone really helps to avoid any sticking).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (when a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean- they are done!)
- Allow to cool before topping with frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting:Add the cream cheese and earth balance to a stand mixer and mix until combined.
- Scoop the icing sugar in ¼ cup at a time while the mixer is running.
- Add in the vanilla and continue mixing until smooth and creamy. (If you don't have a stand mixer you could use a hand mixer or just do this by hand)
- Pour the icing into a piping bag and top your cupcakes generously (make sure they're completely cool).