Smoothies are hands down one of my favourite things to make. Apart from the obvious fact that they can be ridiculously delicious, here’s why I love them to the moon and back:
- They’re fast to make – even when I’m stressed for time, I know I have enough up my sleeve to whip up a smoothie. And if you’re prepared in advance with easily accessible ingredients, it makes the smoothie making process even faster!
- You don’t need an entire cupboard of kitchenware to make them happen: a blender, a chopping board and a knife is probably the extent of what you’ll need (plus a glass/bowl/spoon to drink the smoothie from, of course).
- If you’re smart about your ingredients, smoothies can really become a thoroughly nutritious and filling liquid meal. Case-in-point: the recipe below for this peach and raspberry protein smoothie. All you need to throw in is a spoonful of your favourite protein powder/hemp seeds/chia seeds and you’re halfway there to an energy-packed protein smoothie.
- You can get creative! If you do have the time, smoothie offer endless opportunities to experiment with new flavours, wholesome ingredients (veggies and fruit alike) and the ever increasing selection of superfood powders now on the market.
This recipe for these gorgeous peach and raspberry protein smoothies is a winner I return to over and over. I’ve substituted nectarines for the peaches and blackberries and blueberries for the raspberries, and both alternatives work well. You can also turn this smoothie into a slightly fancy parfait by layering the smoothie over your favourite granola/cereal, or, as I did here, with unsweetened spelt puffs and extra raspberries. Sprinkle some edible rose petals for a little whiff of perfume and get ready to enjoy a dainty sip of heaven.
- 1 peach
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon shredded or desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon of your favourite protein powder (vanilla or citrus flavour)
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Fresh/frozen raspberries
- ½ teaspoon hemp seeds
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth
- Top with fresh or frozen raspberries and a sprinkling of hemp seeds (or alternatively make this into a pretty parfait by layering spelt puffs, raspberries, the smoothie and more raspberries/hemp seeds).