I live in Montreal where the weather leaves a lot to be desired. The truth is, I miss summer so much I could cry. The only way I am not completely falling into depression is because there is FOOD! Healthy food, delicious food, food that can be made to taste like a holiday at a Caribbean white sandy beach. What better way to start the snowy, windy, and ice cold day than with some warmed up and comforting Pina Colada Overnight Steel Cut Oats? This recipe is cheap, healthy, can be prepared in the blink of an eye and screams summer! Just imagine: Pina Colada in breakfast form. Delicious coconut flakes and coconut milk, fresh and sweet pineapple mixed with healthy oats. The only thing missing is someone massaging your feet while you have breakfast.
I absolutely love steel cut oats. Not only for their extraordinary nutritional value (we’re talking B vitamins, vitamin E and minerals including calcium and iron), but also because they taste so much better than regular oats. They are nuttier and chewier, less mushy and more filling. Simply the best! Their only downside…they take forever to cook and who has the time to stand in the kitchen for 45 minutes before going to work?
There is a simple trick to go around the long cooking time though and eliminate this downside completely, turning steel cut oats into pretty much the best breakfast on the planet. You can simply soak them overnight in the fridge, while you are busy watching each every new Netflix movie, brushing your teeth, reading a book, snuggling with whoever lets you snuggle them, or sleeping. The next morning you just heat them up (or even have them straight from the fridge) and off you go outside into the cold but with a hot summer day in your belly to warm you up.[clear-line]
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 small can coconut milk (160ml) or half a regular can
- 1 cup chopped up fresh pineapple
- Coconut sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- In a sealable container add steel cut oats, shredded coconut, coconut sugar and pinch of salt and mix well.
- Bring 2 cups of water to the boil in a kettle or pot.
- Pour boiling water over oats, give it a quick stir and let sit on the kitchen counter until cooled down enough to not heat up your fridge.
- Place lid on container and store in fridge overnight.
- The next morning, put oats into a pot or pan if you want them warm and heat up to the desired temperature (if you want them cold, omit this step).
- Cut up pineapple and add pineapple pieces and coconut milk to oats and serve with some extra coconut sugar sprinkled on top.