During the summer and warmer months, cooking can be a bit of a challenge. Having to stand over a hot stove for hours never seems quite worth it when its 30 degrees outside. While items like salads and smoothies come to mind as summer essentials, we rarely think of soups, but thats about to change. Fresh summer favourites such as tomatoes, berries, and melons all make for exquisite chilled soups.
And guess what else does? Yup, pineapple! It may sound a tad strange, but an icy cold pineapple soup is as refreshing as a smoothie, while being as nourishing as, well soup, and still nice and savoury. Pineapples are a great source of manganese, vitamin C and dietary fibre, so drink up!
- 2¼ cups cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, chopped
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup loose cilantro leaves
- ½ jalapeno, deseeded
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon. sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Black pepper, to taste
- Combine 2 cups of the cucumber along with the pineapple, juices, cilantro, jalapeno, oil and salt in a high speed blender. Blend until smooth and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Chill until cold (approx 30 minutes).
- Prior to serving, garnish with pumpkin seeds, reserved ¼ cup cucumber, sea salt and black pepper, and extra diced jalapeno.