What do you think of when you hear the word “mesquite”? For me, it brings about thoughts of smokey barbecue sauce and savory foods – at least it used to. That is until I discovered that this amazing nutrient dense super food can actually be used as a rich and delicious sweetener in smoothies, porridge, oats, desserts, or ice cream. The list of uses for this glorious powder goes on and on and is only limited by your imagination! With its growing popularity, mesquite powder is popping up in more and more grocery stores, online shops and even in restaurants as a delicious extra to add into smoothies and juices.
Mesquite powder, which is made from the dried and ground bean pods of a North American tree called the Prosopis, packs a powerful punch of nutrients including calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc and lysine. High in protein and fiber while low on the glycemic index, this super food can actually leave you feeling fuller longer and help to keep blood sugar stabilized.
Mesquite powder has a delightfully rich and earthy flavor incomparable to any other. It is sweet and nutty with warm undertones of toasted caramel. I first tried this delicious superfood only just last week and I have to admit, I’m hooked. I want to stir it into everything! After having my very first taste I knew I had to pair it with two of my favorite things to eat, buckwheat porridge and smoothies. So was born the raw mesquite buckwheat porridge and carob smoothie parfait. Phew, that’s a mouth full! So let’s just call it … awesome in a jar.
I really don’t think I could have asked for this to turn out better, the rich earthy flavors and textures of the mesquite and buckwheat play perfectly off of the sweet silky carob smoothie, creating an unbelievably decadent balance. I have been craving it ever since I finished my last bite! This parfait makes an amazing breakfast but could also be served as a dessert. Feel free to add lots of toppings too, goji berries, cacao nibs, chopped almonds or fresh raspberries would all be fantastic!
- Raw Mesquite Buckwheat Porridge:
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats (soaked over night in water)
- ½ cup vanilla almond milk (or other plant based milk)
- 1 heaped tablespoon mesquite powder
- ½ tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Carob Smoothie:
- 4 frozen bananas
- ½-3/4 cup vanilla almond milk (or other plant based milk)
- 1.5 - 2 tablespoons carob powder
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- For the Raw Mesquite Buckwheat Porridge:, put the raw buckwheat groats and enough water to cover them in a large bowl and allow to soak overnight (or for at least 8 hours).
- In the morning drain and rinse the buckwheat groats and add to a food processor or high speed blender with the almond milk, mesquite powder and maple syrup. Blend on high until completely smooth and well combined.
- Pour the buckwheat porridge evenly into two jars or bowls and set aside.
- For the Carob Smoothie:, add the frozen bananas, vanilla almond milk, carob powder and maple syrup to a food processor or high speed blender and blend on high until completely smooth. You may need to add more milk if it is too thick.
- Pour the smoothie on top of the buckwheat porridge and garnish with cherries and mint or any other toppings you wish.