As you may have guessed by now, a childhood favourite of mine was pasta- delicious, warming, creamy, decadent and not so healthy pasta. Pasta was the first meal I remember cooking on my own (if you count boiling pasta and heating up the pasta sauce with grated cheese as cooking), and I loved it. Mum would routinely make pasta for seven hungry mouths, her nightly task (and bane of her existence, so she tells me), and I can now appreciate what a task that was to feed all of us- which is where the pasta came in. Quick, affordable, easy and oh so delicious, those pasta ribbons have a sentimental place in my heart. These days. both my diet and, thankfully, my cooking abilities have improved drastically, which means that my recent pasta craving was able to be rekindled in a new and healthier incarnation.
There aren’t too many things I miss since giving up dairy all those years ago- I’ve found, in my opinion, a healthier and more delicious alternative to almost everything I once loved. However, it’s been quite a while since I’ve sat down and had a big ol’ bowl of pasta, and since becoming plant based, it’s something I had almost forgotten about. I know what you guys are thinking- WHAT? Forgotten about pasta, how could that be? What is this craziness? I guess it was because I didn’t want to ruin all those good memories of pasta, you know the ones- we all have them, slurping up fettuccine ribbons with sauce hitting your face in all directions- rich delicious, creamy sauce. Some things are just better left alone, a happy food memory that has its rightful place in my brain. I didn’t want to ruin what was once a good thing, because I’d never found an alternative I felt happy enough to take that big vegan leap with….until now.
And this is how; I present you to, my Herbed White Tofu Sauce. Far from the white pasta sauce I loved as a child which was laden in butter, cheese and cream; this pasta sauce contains a healthy dose of protein, is full of flavour and has that rich creamy deliciousness you remember from the original. This creamy vegan pasta sauce will definitely have you coming back for more. I served mine on top of spelt (gluten free pasta is also a great alternative) pasta with mushrooms, kale, tomatoes, olives and sriracha chilli sauce to spice things up a bit. Yummo!
- 150 g silken tofu
- 3 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- Fresh herbs to taste (I used garlic chives and parsley)
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and add spelt pasta, cook for roughly 14 minutes or until the pasta feels soft. Once cooked, drain and sit to the side.
- In a high speed food processor, add all the ingredients and blend until you have a completely smooth consistency. Remembering to taste the mixture to ensure you have the correct amount of fresh herbs, lemon and salt.
- In a frying pan over medium heat cook off desired vegetables (mushrooms and kale are a delicious combination.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the pasta and white sauce to the pan and stir until completely heated through.