After my workouts, I love to drink a high protein smoothie packed with natural ingredients. One of my favourite tips for amazing smoothies any time of the year is to always have frozen fruits on hand at any time. That way, you can enjoy the fruits of any season regardless of the time of year. It took me some time to find a store which sells frozen cherries, my absolute favourite smoothie ingredient, but now I have a regular supplier that keeps me happy all year round!
In my kitchen, I always opt for nut milk instead of dairy milk, which I find my body can digest far better. You can easily make your own nut milk or buy high-quality nut milk at your local health food store. If purchasing, ensure that the nut milk you buy contains no unhealthy additives. While there are slowly a wider variety of nut milks popping up, my preference remains almond milk because of its rich Vitamin E profile. Vitamin E is full of antioxidant properties which protect your cells from damage, and in turn helps to keep skin looking soft and youthful.
This delicious fruit smoothie gets a superfood boost from the addition of acai powder. Couple this super berry with cashews and dates, and you get an incredibly delicious and satisfying smoothie. Check out its fabulous health benefits!
Reasons to love this Cherry Acai smoothie:
- The Acai Berry contains essential fatty acids like omega 3, 6 and omega 9 oleic acid. It has a super high ORAC (measure of antioxidant capacity) of 5,500 for every 100 grams of fruit, as well as more of the antioxidant rich Vitamin E and polyphenols (which give it its purple colour).
- Soaked cashew nuts are an excellent way to make a smoothie creamier without using yoghurt. Cashews are a great source of essential minerals such as copper, iron, magnesium and zinc.
- Dates provide the perfect sweetness to this smoothie and are a great alternative to refined sugar. They’re high in fibre and will also help you to keep full for longer.
- 50g cherries, frozen
- 50g soaked cashews
- 2 dates
- 250ml almond milk
- 1 teaspoons acai powder
- 50g Coconut Yoghurt
- Soak the cashew nuts in filtered water overnight.
- The following morning, rinse the cashews well, then add them to a high-speed blender with the other ingredients.
- Blend well until your smoothie is perfectly creamy.